Discover the perfect window covering and style for every room.
Request a Free Consultation
Provide your contact information and we’ll be in touch via phone, email or text to schedule your free window treatments consultation and more.
How to Measure
Inside mount shutters are installed inside the window frame or casing – they provide a sleek, clean look which can showcase your window size and moldings. If you’re interested in measuring for inside mount shutters, follow these steps:
- Measure the depth of your window frame. You’ll need this measurement to ensure your window recess meets the minimum depth requirement for an inside mount. Refer to the Mounting Requirements section for the window treatment you’ve chosen to ensure your window meets the requirement for an inside mount.
- Check the window for squareness by measuring the diagonal points of the window, or by using a panel and placing it against all four corners. If the window is out of square by more than 1/4 inch, an outside mount application is recommended.
- Measure the width of each window opening. Record the width at the top, middle, and bottom of your window opening. Circle the narrowest measurement of the three – this is the number you submit for your window’s width.
- Measure the height of your window opening in three places: left, center, and right. Circle the shortest measurement – this is the number you submit for your window’s height.
- If the opening measures 60 inches or higher, a divider rail is required. For inside mounts, measure from the bottom of the window up to where the center of the divider rail will be located. Note that the divider rail will be positioned within 1.5 inches of this measurement.
- Order at the exact opening size with no deductions. The factory will take deductions in production.
- Double check that your measurements follow the width by height format (W x H).
Outside mount plantation shutters are mounted on the window molding or wall around your window. Outside mount blinds are a good choice if an inside mount is not possible due to window depth or obstructions within your window. Follow these simple steps to measure your windows for outside mount plantation shutters:
- Check the mounting requirements on your plantation shutters to ensure you have enough flat surface for mounting hardware.
- Determine the width of the plantation shutters you want to order. We do not advise mounting directly on the wall. If you have window trim, take trim-to-trim measurements.
- If your window has no trim, we recommend adding width of your choice on each side of your window to provide light gap coverage and privacy. Mark these additions on each side and measure the width between them in a straight line.
- Determine the height of the shutters you will order. If you have a protruding window sill and are mounting into the wall above, start at the sill and measure the height of your choice beyond the top of the window opening to accommodate for the frame. If mounting to the trim, order from the top of the trim down to the sill.
- If you do not have a protruding window sill, we recommend adding frame size to the top and bottom of the window opening. Start by measuring the depth of the frame of your choice below the sill for maximum coverage and then measure the depth of the frame of your choice beyond the top of the window opening to accommodate for the frame.
- Double check that your measurements follow the width by height format (W x H). Remember, with outside mount plantation shutters, your product will be made to the exact specified size